In an effort to eat more healthfully using ingredients I had on hand without running to the store, I created this delicious, quick-fix dish featuring shrimp and homegrown squash and zucchini.
We served it over cheese grits, but it would be equally good over brown rice or couscous just on its own.
Shrimp with Harissa & Squash
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp harissa
- 2 fresh zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 fresh yellow squash, halved and sliced
- 1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled
- sea salt to taste
- hot freshly cooked polenta, brown rice, or couscous, if desired
In a skillet, sauté onion in olive oil until translucent; add garlic, chili powder, and Harissa and stir to blend. Add in zucchini and yellow squash, stirring frequently.
When squashes are just beginning to soften, add shrimp. Cook, stirring frequently, until shrimp is cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Serve over hot cooked polenta, brown rice, or couscous.