It’s Friday in Lent, which for us means seafood. Because it’s getting warmer outside, we opted for a light, tropical-type dinner.
We had this healthy one-dish meal over jasmine rice, but it’s so full of fruit and veggies, that it would be just as good on its own.
Thai Yellow Curry Shrimp with Pineapple & Mango
- 1½ pounds peeled shrimp
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced [or frozen or canned sliced carrots, drained]
- 1½ Tbsp Mae Ploy Thai Yellow Curry Paste
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup cold water
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- fresh pineapple, peeled, sliced, and cubed [or canned pineapple chunks, drained]
- fresh mango, peeled and cubed
Heat vegetable oil in a wok. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Add bell peppers and carrots and sauté until veggies are just starting to get tender.
Add yellow curry paste and mix well, coating the onions and peppers. Mix in brown sugar and fish sauce; stir well. Turn heat up a little and add in cornstarch mixture, stirring to blend, being careful not to burn the cornstarch. Add in coconut milk and stir well.
Bring mixture to slight boil and add shrimp, stirring to blend. When shrimp are beginning to turn pink, add pineapple and mango, return to slight boil, and cook 3 minutes.
Serve as it is or over hot, cooked jasmine rice.